General Assembly 2012
June 20-24, Phoenix, Arizona
“We are not a religious tradition with a creed, but a religious movement that has always wedded social justice work to theology.”
—James Luther Adams
Beyond Business as Usual
General Assembly (GA) 2012 will have as a prime objective raising the capacity of all our congregations to engage with community based partners to do effective advocacy and witness.
- Workshops will focus on justice issues, including topics such as the spiritual foundations of justice work, the theology of social justice, as well as a more tactical focus on organizing.
- All participants will be afforded opportunities to experience social justice through service, witness, and reflection.
- There will be hands-on projects working directly with Arizona partner organizations. We expect work to be in areas of voter registration as well as in direct human services.
- Congregations will learn to assess their strengths and weaknesses and learn skills for social justice work according to their region, congregation size and resources.
- Both the hours and the pace of programming will be different from other GAs. We expect to have major worship services and speakers in the middle of the day when it is hottest, and community engagement in the morning and evening hours.
More information at:
Become our fan on Facebook!:
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.